ashleysterkel

Read All The Things! Reviews

A mini-me version of Read All The Things!

Song of Susannah

Song of Susannah - Stephen King, Darrel Anderson

Roland’s group splits up after Mia hijacks Susannah’s body and vanishes through a doorway to the future. Jake and Father Callahan go after her while Eddie and Roland continue their search for the tower.

I admit that I was slightly biased against this book before starting it because Susannah is my least favorite character in the series. She has four different personalities living inside her body, and I’ve never gotten a good sense of who Susannah actually is. I know the other personalities better than I know her. This book didn’t help because Mia is in control of the body for most of it, so I still don’t feel like I know Susannah.

Song of Susannah is somewhat amazing and somewhat disappointing. Like the previous books, the worldbuilding is awesome. I love the scenes that take place at Castle Discordia. They’re so weird. I also love the name “Castle Discordia.”

Another awesome scene is the gun battle with Roland and Eddie at the gas station. It has all of the action and suspense that I missed in Wolves of the Calla (book 5). I was so happy to see the pacing of the series pick up again.

Unfortunately, I’m a little let down by Song of Susannah. Like the previous book, this one feels like it’s just setup and explanation for what’s going to happen in the last book. (The end of this series better be incredible if it requires 1,000+ pages of explanation.) My biggest problem with Song of Susannah is that nothing really happens. The story becomes more convoluted instead of clearer. The plot doesn’t advance very much, and the book ends right when things get interesting. Basically, it takes Susannah 400 pages to go from a hotel to a restaurant. I know that New York traffic is bad, but damn, that’s a long time. I was getting impatient.

Stephen King makes himself a character in this book. I have mixed feelings about that. It’s hilarious, but it’s also too meta for me. Seeing the characters interact with their creator really pulled me out of the story, and I had a hard time getting back into it.

Even though Song of Susannah disappointed me, I’m going to continue with the series. I love this world, and I’m way too invested in it to stop now.